[Dovecot] Hardware infrastructure for email system

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Sat Jun 23 20:04:40 EEST 2012

Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:

> Am 23.06.2012 13:09, schrieb Wojciech Puchar:
>> it is already enormous overshoot in hardware specs. And i do not
>> really catch why you have "4 in parallel" servers.
>> And finally i cannot understand this dividing of servers just to
>> merging it back using VMWare.
>
> because it is a big difference if you have anything in a single
> machine or splittet in virtual machines - you can move them at
> runtime to different hosts and if you run out of ressources
> for one of them you can buy a phyisclal machine, add it to the
> cluster and move the virtual machine without any downtime
>
> if you have all on one machine or VM you are not scaleable

Personally I found going from real hardware E51xx servers to E56xx
servers to give double the performance per same speed and amount of
cores for my mail server. Then moving it onto vmware slowed it down
approx 15%.

Overall still a let win, and using vmware for extra HA and easier
maintenance is deferentially worth the slowdown.