[Dovecot] Virtual users - what is better Maildir or mbox?

J E Lyon role.Dovecot-Readers at JLAssocs.com
Mon Jun 25 10:28:00 EEST 2012

On 25 Jun 2012, at 08:20, Kaya Saman wrote:

> Now what I would like to know is, which is better for "virtual
> hosting" Maildir or mbox?

I always use Maildir in preference to mbox . . it's just such a lovely solution, imho :)
(Mind you, I'm on a *nix server, so filesystem behaviour may be a consideration for non-*nix hosts.)

> Basically my requirement is that I would like to separate users via
> either individual folders and then put each user's mbox or Maildir in
> the created directory, or simply name each mbox or Maildir according
> to the user name.
>
> First up is this possible?
>
> Secondly, how would I go about doing it?

In haste, I haven't been able to check your email thoroughly, but I have used passwd with an extra field appended to each user, to identify the mailbox location. If you're authenticating against ActiveDirectory, then I guess that means generating a passwd-file style 'database' from the users in ActiveDirectory and I have no idea if that's trivial.

Sorry if my rushed thoughts are too sketchy to be of use, but thought I'd share my experience in case it offers any pointers.

J.