[Dovecot] Virtual users - what is better Maildir or mbox?

Mon Jun 25 12:44:19 EEST 2012

On 2012-06-25 3:58 AM, J E Lyon <role.Dovecot-Readers at JLAssocs.com> wrote:
> I've not come up with any significant advantages of mbox that count
> for much in my experiences and installations . . Would be interested
> to hear of suggested advantages that I might have overlooked

One major advantage of mbox (and now mdbox) over maildir is the time it
takes to back things up for larger mail stores.

It takes much less time to compare a single mbox file that contains
20,000 messages (and rsync only the changed bits) than it does to
compare read/compare 20,000 individual files (maildir)...

I too like maildir, but am seriously considering implementing a solution
where older mail is automatically archived to slower/cheaper SATA III
based storage using mdbox format.

--

Best regards,

Charles