[Dovecot] Dovecot performance under high load (vs. Courier)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Tue Jun 26 22:09:16 EEST 2012

Quoting Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>:

> It's stupid how webmail works but dovecot doesn't have a problem to
> get new connections every now and then. just make sure you didn't
> set up SSL by accident.

Would you mind explaining why you think it is "stupid" the way webmail
works?  I assume you are angry because a webmail installation will
normally need to create a new IMAP connection on every user
interaction at the browser level.

Unfortunately, HTTP is a stateless protocol which makes webmail a
disconnected client.  But it is no different than other disconnected
clients, e.g. mail app on a smartphone.  I am confused on why you
think this is stupid.

The existence of disconnected clients has been contemplated since the
beginning of IMAP (see RFC 1733; RFC 4549), and much work has been
done to the IMAP protocol (CONDSTORE, QRESYNC, to a lesser extent
SORT/THREAD) to increase performance on these clients - especially
since that's where MUA usage is exploding.

michael