[Dovecot] Setting up mixed mbox and maildir

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 27 00:19:20 EEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 13:48 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 6/26/2012 1:35 PM Jonathan Ryshpan spake the following:
> > I'm trying to set up a dovecot server for which mail arrives in an mbox,
> > and mail is stored in a maildir.  The wiki (see
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces) refers to this as "Mixed mbox and
> > Maildir".  It advises handling this situation by creating two
> > namespaces: one for the mbox and the other for the maildir. Each of
> > these namespaces starts with
> > 	namespace private {
> >
> > On the other hand the sample configuration in the documentation puts
> > inbox in a namespace starting with:
> >         namespace inbox {
> >           # Namespace type: private, shared or public
> >           #type = private
> >
> > It appears that there has been a change in the configuration syntax
> > after the wiki was written, and that the word following namespace
> > no longer gives a property of the namespace, but rather its name.
> > Is this correct?  In any case, how should the configuration be modified

> If you are working with 2.0 or later dovecot, you should be at
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces

I am using 2.1.7 .  I surmise from this Namespace page that the form:
	namespace <type> {
where <type> is one of "public", "private", or "shared" creates an
unnamed namespace of type <type> while the form:
	namespace <name> {
where <name> is none of "public", "private", or "shared", creates a
namespace with the name <name> and the default type (unspecified on this
page, but probably private).  The namespace can be given the type
desired by an (undocumented) namespace setting:
	namespace inbox (
		type = <type>
Is this correct?

Thanks - jon