[Dovecot] indexer-worker

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 28 09:46:27 EEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 07:54 +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> why this process (which most probably do squat index/update) runs as root,
> not - like imap process - as user?
>
> 29413 root             1  76    0 22820K  9204K kqread  1   0:17  5.86% indexer-worker

It runs as root while not really doing anything, but when it starts
accessing users' files it temporarily drops privileges. This is
necessary if users have multiple different UIDs.

If you have only one UID e.g. vmail, you could set:

service indexer-worker {
  user = vmail
}

There are a couple of ways to do this automatically whenever it's
possible.. I guess I'll add those to v2.2.