[Dovecot] RAID1+md concat+XFS as mailstorage

Thu Jun 28 19:54:38 EEST 2012

On 2012-06-28 12:20 PM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
> Bad things are going to happen if you loose a complete chunk of your
> filesystem.  I think the current state of the world is that you should
> assume that realistically you will be looking to your backups if you
> loose the wrong 2 disks in a raid1 or raid10 array.

Which is a very good reason to have at least one hot spare in any RAID
setup, if not 2.

RAID10 also statistically has a much better chance of surviving a multi
drive failure than RAID5 or 6, because it will only die if two drives in
the same pair fail, and only then if the second one fails before the hot
spare is rebuilt.

--

Best regards,

Charles