[Dovecot] RAID1+md concat+XFS as mailstorage

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Jun 30 08:23:58 EEST 2012

On 6/28/2012 7:15 AM, Ed W wrote:
> On 28/06/2012 13:01, Костырев Александр Алексеевич wrote:

>> somewhere in maillist I've seen RAID1+md concat+XFS being promoted as
>> mailstorage.
>> Does anybody in here actually use this setup?
>>
>> I've decided to give it a try,
>> but ended up with not being able to recover any data off survived
>> pairs from linear array when _the_first of raid1 pairs got down.

The failure of the RAID1 pair was due to an intentional breakage test.
Your testing methodology was severely flawed.  The result is the correct
expected behavior of your test methodology.  Proper testing will yield a
different result.

One should not be surprised that something breaks when he intentionally
attempts to break it.

> This is the configuration endorsed by Stan Hoeppner.

Yes.  It works very well for metadata heavy workloads, i.e. maildir.

--
Stan