[Dovecot] Dovecot auth process delays exiting if LDAPS passdb used

SATOH Fumiyasu fumiyas at osstech.jp
Thu Jun 7 06:06:03 EEST 2012

At Tue, 29 May 2012 18:31:45 +0300,
Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > > If Dovecot passdb is configured with LDAP (no TLS/SSL),
> > > it is no problem. But if Dovecot passdb is configured with
> > > LDAPS (or LDAP+TLS), Dovecot auth process has a problem
> > > that Dovecot auth delays exiting about between 20 and
> > > 60 seconds when Dovecot dovecot (master) process is already
> > > terminated by an administrator.
> >
> > I can reproduce this problem with LDAP (no TLS/SSL) passdb.
>
> And I suppose you can reproduce it even when not using LDAP?

Yes. I can reproduce with dovecot 1:2.1.7-1 (Debian unstable package)
with PAM passdb. This PAM environment is configured for
local UNIX passwd file only (no LDAP).

> All of the Dovecot processes are supposed to close all listeners
> immediately when the master process dies. If this doesn't happen then
> something strange is going on.

My dovecot config (PAM version) is below:

# dovecot -n
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64 Debian wheezy/sid
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = " imap pop3"
service auth {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem