[Dovecot] Dovecot Quotas in Version 2

Brian Spraker spraker at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 03:10:29 EEST 2012

Hello all,

Just upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 on a server today and went through a few issues that I finally got corrected with many different services.

However, one of them - I absolutely cannot figure out.

I was using Dovecot 1 in Ubuntu 10.04 - but in Ubuntu 12.04, it has been upgraded to Dovecot 2.  Finally managed to get the configuration to work and get it to use MySQL as the back-end authentication method (had to install the dovecot-mysql package).

But, I cannot get quotas to work.  The moment I uncomment a quota line, Dovecot fails to start.

Would appreciate any help with this.  I am not using any of the individual configuration files on the conf.d folder - simply the dovecot.conf and dovecot-sql.conf file.  Here is a copy of those.  You can see the one commented line (mail_plugins under imap) simply will not work - but yet the one under POP works (although I don't think it is used):

base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 33
last_valid_uid = 33
listen = *
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_privileged_group = www-data
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  quota = maildir
  quota_rule = Trash:storage=100M
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
  user = root
}
service imap-login {
  executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
}
service imap {
  executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
}
ssl = no
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds =
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
#  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = quota
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}

And for the dovecot-sql.conf file (passwords changed, of course):

driver = mysql
connect = dbname=horde user=<USER> password=<PASSWORD> host=localhost
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
password_query = SELECT user_uid as user, user_pass as password FROM horde_users WHERE user_uid = '%u';
user_query = SELECT uid, gid, home, maildir, concat('maildir:storage=', quota) AS quota FROM horde_users WHERE user_uid = '%u';

I did not update the dovecot-sql.conf file at all - so I don't know if there maybe be some configuration issue with how it is pulling the quota limit from the database.  Quotas are in bytes in the database.

Certainly would appreciate any help with this.  I went through the Dovecot Quota Configuration in the wiki but it wasn't any help - as I basically already have that line in the config file, but it will fail to start Dovecot.

Thank you!

Brian S.