[Dovecot] RFE: IMAP LIST Extension for Special-Use Mailboxes

Tue Jun 26 18:54:52 EEST 2012

On 2012-03-03 1:10 PM, Thomas Leuxner <tlx at leuxner.net> wrote:
> Am 03.03.2012 um 13:07 schrieb Steven Haigh:
>
>> I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this got implemented? I've
>> beenlooking at doing this for quite some time...

> Yes it was. It has been discussed extensively:
>
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-news/2012-February/000213.html
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-December/062327.html

Thanks for the thread references Thomas, I just re-read them and didn't
see my question asked...

The obvious downside to the current RFC based umplementation is that it
requires Client cooperation...

My question (I guess for Timo) is, would it be crazy/possible to
implement some kind of 'alias' conversion in dovecot that would work
regardless of client cooperation?

Ie, in a config file, add a list of 'aliases' for these special use
folders (similar to how it is done now), but where dovecot would then
silently translate/map a request for any of the defined aliases to the
defined special use folder? so, if Outlook wants to save a sent message
to 'Sent Items', it would simply and silently be saved to 'Sent' (or
whatever the admin had defined as the 'real' sent folder). This wouldn't
then require anything to be implemented in a client, it would only
require the Admin to know what clients they want to support and what
folders those clients look for by default.

--

Best regards,

Charles