[Dovecot] last hope... public namespace and directory structure

Daniel Fischer zimmys76 at web.de
Wed Jun 27 10:53:36 EEST 2012

hello,

I would like to migrate to dovecot, but I have a problem with a public
namespace declaration:

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

# OS: Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64 Debian wheezy/sid

And here are the relevant parts from the configuration:

namespace {

  location = maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/public

  prefix = Public.

  separator = .

  type = public

}

namespace inbox {

  prefix =

  separator = .

  subscriptions = yes

  type = private

}

I assume that all folders under ./public/ are public mailboxes. The public
folder itself is not a  maildir, but contains

the team mailboxes i.e.

./public/.sales/

./public/.service/

./public/.purchase/

The file passwd for those 3 samples looks like this:

sales@$DOMAIN::5000:5000::/var/mail/vhosts/$DOMAIN/public/.sales

service@$DOMAIN::5000:5000::/var/mail/vhosts/$DOMAIN/public/.service

purchase@$DOMAIN::5000:5000::/var/mail/vhosts/$DOMAIN/public/.purchase

Note: All other users have mail_location /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n

Now a have the following problem: If  I login in as user sales and create a
folder foo and in there a folder bar.

The directory structure is:

./public/. sales /.foo and /public/. sales /.foo.bar

that’s exactly what I´m expect.

Now I logon as “normal” user. I can see the namespace Public with the sales
mailbox
but no subfolder foo or foo.bar.

Now I create also the folders foo and in there bar, but the result is
me unexpected ;-):

./public/. sales

./public/. sales.foo

./public/. sales.foo.bar