[Dovecot] dovecot is working, sort of

Rob Sterenborg (lists) lists at sterenborg.info
Thu Aug 15 13:32:07 EEST 2013

On 08/15/2013 10:50 AM, LuKreme wrote:

> "Error: user lists@*munged*: Couldn't drop privileges: User is missing UID (see mail_uid setting)"
>
> These are all virtual users with a hid of 89. How do I tell dovecot that?
>

> $ cat /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
> driver =  mysql
> connect = host=localhost dbname=postfix user=dovecot password=dovecot
> default_pass_scheme = MD5-CRYPT
> password_query = select password from mailbox where username ='%u'
> user_query = select concat('/usr/local/virtual/', maildir) from mailbox where username = '%u'

In my SQL configuration I have something like this:

user_query = \
         SELECT _home AS home, _uid AS uid, _gid AS gid \
         FROM virtual_mailboxes \
         WHERE _recipient='%u' AND _active=1

Using this I can give certain users a different UID/GID, should I want
to. But if I'm not mistaken you can also statically configure the uid
and gid.
On page http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers, the last example says:

userdb {
   driver = static
   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/virtual/%d/%n
}

I guess you should be able to adapt this to your SQL config.

--
Rob