[Dovecot] dovecot.index-Errors with multiple IMAP client access in Dovecot 2.2

Martin Rabl martin.rabl at rablnet.de
Mon Dec 2 22:25:34 EET 2013

Hello list,

I hope you can help me!

My self-compiled dovecot 2.2.6 (and the two minor versions before, too)
throws that errors:

Nov 28 18:29:00 mailserv dovecot: imap(martin at example.com): Error:
Transaction log /srv/vmail/example.com/martin/Maildir/dovecot.index.log:
duplicate transaction log sequence (25)
Nov 28 18:29:00 mailserv dovecot: imap(martin at example.com): Error:
/srv/vmail/example.com/martin/Maildir/dovecot.index log position went
backwards (24,40 < 25,10028)

... and so on ... duplicate transaction log sequences and backwards gone
log positions, and this always, when I use at least two IMAP clients at
the same time (better: the two clients are online and logged in at the
same time).

That happens only with one user (me ;-) ), the other about 15 users on
this server are having no problems.

What I see: the clients are bothering each other, but I don't know, why.

I thought about the used reiserfs filesystem on the server, but there
were no problems with 1.2 on the same server.

Some words about my client setup: I use Thunderbird and iPhone at the
same time, and as a third client on the same Server there is a
Thunderbird instance at my company, which runs parallel to the other
two. Seems to be weired, but isn't really (IMHO ;-) ).
Sometimes there are two TBs at the same mailbox, sometimes only the
iPhone and a TB, sometimes all three.

This runs quite good for long time with dovecot 1.2 and 2.1.x (the last
one at my company in a similary setup with more users and several
clients at the same time).

Maybe there is an error by using "my" build configurations (I think, not)?

---- configures -------------------

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--with-sql \
--with-ssl \
--with-mysql

-----------------------------------

Here are my dovecot.conf (only the changes of defaults) - maybe there is
a misconfiguration?

---- dovecot.conf -----------------

# 2.2.6: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-028stab101.1 x86_64 Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS reiserfs
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_socket_path = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
default_internal_user = vmail
default_login_user = vmail
dict {
   acl = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-acl-sql.conf.ext
}
disable_plaintext_auth = no
imap_capability = +NAMESPACE
imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-lsub-flags tb-lsub-flags
tb-extra-mailbox-sep
listen = *
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l %c
mail_access_groups = vmail
mail_location = maildir:/srv/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = vmail
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave imapflags notify
namespace {
   list = yes
   location = maildir:%%Lh/Maildir/:INDEX=%%Lh/shared-idx/%%u
   prefix = shared/%%u/
   separator = /
   subscriptions = no
   type = shared
}
namespace {
   hidden = no
   list = yes
   location = maildir:/srv/vmail/public
   prefix = public/
   separator = /
   subscriptions = no
   type = public
}
namespace inbox {
   hidden = no
   inbox = yes
   list = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Spam {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
   separator = /
   subscriptions = yes
   type = private
}
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
plugin {
   acl = vfile
   acl_shared_dict = proxy::acl
   autocreate = Trash
   autocreate2 = Spam
   autocreate3 = Sent
   autocreate4 = Drafts
   autosubscribe = Trash
   autosubscribe2 = Spam
   autosubscribe3 = Sent
   autosubscribe4 = Drafts
   sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
   sieve_after = /srv/vmail/sieve/after.sieve
   sieve_before = /srv/vmail/sieve/before.sieve
   sieve_dir = ~/sieve
   sieve_extensions = +notify +imapflags
   sieve_global_dir = /srv/vmail/sieve
   sieve_global_path = /srv/vmail/sieve/globalsieverc
}
pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
postmaster_address = postmaster@%d
protocols = imap pop3
quota_full_tempfail = yes
service auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener auth-master {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0600
     user = vmail
   }
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0600
     user = vmail
   }
}
service dict {
   unix_listener dict {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0660
     user = vmail
   }
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imaps {
     port = 993
     ssl = yes
   }
}
service imap {
   process_limit = 2048
   vsz_limit = 256 M
}
service managesieve-login {
   inet_listener sieve {
     port = 4190
   }
   inet_listener sieve_deprecated {
     port = 2000
   }
}
service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     port = 110
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_cipher_list =
ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:ALL:!aNULL:!ADH:!eNULL:!EXP:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
protocol lda {
   mail_plugins = " sieve"
}
protocol imap {
   mail_plugins = acl imap_acl
}
protocol sieve {
   managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
   managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave imapflags
}

local 1.2.3.4 {