[Dovecot] backup mdbox best strategy

Thu Dec 5 14:07:10 EET 2013

On 2013-12-05 6:43 AM, Claus <claus.r at bayern-mail.de> wrote:
> Now we are using Maildir on cyrus and the (full)-backup takes about 20
> hours on one backend storing 150 GB of Mails in about 3 million files.

!?

What backup software are you using?

Not to take away from the advantages of mdbox, but...

I use rsnapshot, and am pushing the backups to an NFS mount on a cheaper
NAS (QNAP) device, and the initial full backup of 300+GB of maildirs
(not sure how many more millions of files, but a lot more than yours I
imagine) only took about 4 or 5 hours. The subsequent runs now take
anywhere from 1-2 hours...

So, maybe it is your backup software that is broken?

I am also planning on migrating to mdbox, for two reasons - much less
files to backup (should reduce backup snapshot times to minutes,
allowing me to add many more during the day), and I also want to enable
SIS to reduce dramatically the overall storage requirements (we use a
lot of large attachments, and I know for a fact that they are duplicated
many times over, so the overall storage should be reduced by half or
more)...

--

Best regards,

*/Charles/*