[Dovecot] zlib config questions

Terry Barnum terry at dop.com
Thu Dec 5 23:55:40 EET 2013

After nearly running out of space I swapped in larger disks and then saw the recent threads about zlib compression. Unfortunately I'm still confused after reading <http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib>.

In order to compress new email being stored do I only need to change

10-mail.conf to this:
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins zlib

and 90-plugin.conf to this:
plugin {
  zlib_save_level = 6
  zlib_save = gz

Or do I need to instead (or also?) add it to the list of plugins in 20-imap.conf?

A simple 'sudo doveadm reload' to enable?

Once enabled, is there an indication in the logs that compression is taking place?

Do new mail files have a suffix like .Z to indicate they've been compressed?

Any gotchas to be aware of?

I'm running macports dovecot 2.2.5.

Thanks for any help.

-Terry