[Dovecot] Dsync error: Couldn't drop privileges: getgrnam

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 02:10:22 EET 2013

Alan McGinlay wrote:

> Can't believe I'm the only one with this error, googled it and there is
> nothing. Sorry to whine but I am getting desperate here!

I googled "safe_mkstemp permission denied" and first hit is this thread

 	dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-August/052319.html

which mentions this error coming about from chrooting users.  Looking back
on your post, I see

 	http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-December/093900.html

 	mail_chroot = /var/vmail

As long as your desperate, maybe try leaving this setting empty?
(This doesn't explain why it's not deterministic though.)   Try
process traces -- I do when I'm stumped.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>