[Dovecot] Server Migration Attempt - new messages DELETED after secondary rsyncs

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Dec 27 16:28:49 EET 2013

Quoting Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com>:

> Starting a new thread, as I've got a lot more details now...
>
> rsync command (dovecot is STOPPED before performing, source is the
> latest snapshot of the active server):
>
> rsync -rltgovDHP --delete --delete-excluded --exclude-from
> '/path/to/excludes.txt' /snapshot/.../vmail/example.com/user/
> /.../vmail/example.com/user/

I have done it this way: After the 1st rsync, the client should be
accessing the new location - the server should be delivering to the
new location, and you do one last rsync to catch any straggling
deliveries.

For your issue appears on first blush that Thunderbird is just
removing the email marked as Trash (T flag).

> I'm only syncing the one user until I get this problem resolved as
> it 1388115600.Vfe02Ib61cf5M913598.oldhost.example.com:2,ST

> Start dovecot, select INBOX in Thunderbird for this account, it only
> displays these (I got this ls output from AFTER the messages in the
> cur directory are deleted per below - before doing any of the 3
> aqctions below, ALL of the messages show in the ls output):
> ls -al /.../user/cur

No ,ST files, just ,S (Seen).

Rick