[Dovecot] LMTP with virtual and system users

Eugene genie at geniechka.ru
Sun Dec 29 20:31:07 EET 2013

Hello,

Personally, I think it is more simple and convenient to migrate system
users' mail to the virtual-user setup (i.e. two separate logins, e.g. 'user'
for SSH and 'user at domain.com' for mail ).

Here are the relevant portions of my postfix config:

mydestination = localhost
local_recipient_maps =  $virtual_mailbox_maps  $virtual_alias_maps
mydomain = domain.com    # your 'local' host/domain name
myhostname = domain.com  # your 'local' host/domain name
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = ....., reject_unverified_recipient, .....  #
to do LMTP-based verification of incoming mail
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
unverified_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/usr/ext/mail/valias
virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/usr/ext/mail/vdomains
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

/usr/ext/mail/valias defines additional redirections like
postmaster at domain.com         admin at domain.com
root at domain.com               admin at domain.com

/usr/ext/mail/vdomains is an access-map file with records for supported
domains, like:
domain.com OK

Also adjust 'root' record in /etc/mail/aliases to point to qualified admin's
mail address (admin at domain.com)

Best wishes
Eugene