[Dovecot] Defer emails until the user is ready to deal with them (snooze button / bring-forward file / bring-up file for emails)

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Tue Feb 19 11:11:29 EET 2013

Am 19.02.2013 09:39, schrieb Steffen Kaiser:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
>> Am 18.02.2013 10:03, schrieb Steffen Kaiser:
>>> Have a cron job on the server that moves the messages back to INBOX.
>
>> please describe how such cron should be invoked , created, edited,
>> deleted
>> with some user friendly interface i.e in some sieve webmail client or
>> thunderbird, using tons of different guis for different jobs is not very
>> nice, ideally such functions should be able to handle  from a
>> thunderbird plugin then etc
>
> I do not believe that the original post was about an ISP scenario.

yeah, maybe right, however ,i guess there will be more questions about
new mail handlings in the near future, if they should spread widely
they should fit in isp alike setups, just my personal meaning

> Hence:
>
> + "snooze" button -> move to TODO *)
> + manual access (bring up / ready to deal with) via TODO mailbox
> + automatic: a static cron script monitors this mailbox for new messages
> and moves the message into INBOX after it appeared a certain amount of
> idle time or after a certain day time. **)
>
> *) in combination with mail_log one could move the message back to the
> original mailbox, when the cron job reinjects it.
> One could have more than one snooze button to spool the message into a
> submailbox under TODO describing the snooze time. Then a virtual TODO
> could merge them together to have a chronologic list of all messages.
>
> **) Depends on the mail storage backend, e.g. one could use an
> inotify/epoll server for Maildir.
>
> Actually, this was my first setup to report SPAM. Each user had a
> mailbox "ReportSPAM", which was monitored hourly. If the script detected
> a new message, it was learned has SPAM, after 7 days or so the message
> was deleted; if it vanished before the automatic deletion (user deleted
> it), the message was re-learned as HAM. The antispam plugin replaced
> that script. I extended the idea with the automatic "move back to INBOX".

off topic , i have simply a forward mail address for auto ham/spam
learning, but nearly none uses it cause the false postive rate is nearly
none

> In fact, in the last time some people are asking about something like
> "snooze til Monday 6 o'clock in the Morning" and "delay sending Monday 6
> o'clock in the Morning".

interesting, nobody here ,asked about such stuff, but
from outside i see a lot of questions about such functions
and more

> Kind regards,
>
> -- Steffen Kaiser

Best Regards