[Dovecot] SSL with startssl.com certificates

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Sep 14 04:55:47 EEST 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 10:18 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> Perhaps I am doing the chain incorrectly.  I just tried again.  The
> server is now set up with the following:
>
> I have three certs in this chain file:
>
> cat imaps.unixathome.org.pem sub.class1.server.ca.pem ca.pem >
> testing.chain.pem
>
> 1 - the certificate issued by startssl for my server
> 2 & 3 - the PEM files for StartSSL as found at
> http://www.startssl.com/certs/

That is the correct chain method, and order

> $ openssl s_client -connect imaps.unixathome.org:993 -quiet
> depth=2 /C=IL/O=StartCom Ltd./OU=Secure Digital Certificate
> Signing/CN=StartCom Certification Authority
> verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain

Never panic about  the above, it is just indicating (rightly so) you
have a local certificate (the first) in your chain.

>ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/ssl/imaps.unixathome.org.crt
>ssl_key = </usr/local/etc/ssl/imaps.unixathome.org.nopassword.key

correct method, so long as the cert and key files are named correctly
and in the right location.

>ssl = required

Bit dangerous... and may be the cause of your problems,  change to :
ssl = yes

We use startssl and have many  android, blackberry, and iphone users
(maybe even win phone Lusers too ;) who knows) amongst desktop/laptop
types and never had any problems with them using startssl