[Dovecot] Doveadm with a 2nd Instance

Chris Lasater vorgusa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 07:45:01 EEST 2013

Hi Guys,
I am trying to use 2 instances of Dovecot on the same server so I can
have a Director managing my connections, everything appears to be
working, but I can not use doveadm to control my 2nd instance, but
doveconf seems to work fine.

[user at server logs]$ doveconf -i Director | grep logs
debug_log_path = /home/user/apps/logs/director/director_debug.log
info_log_path = /home/user/apps/logs/director/director_info.log
log_path = /home/user/apps/logs/director/director.log
   info_log_path = /home/user/apps/logs/director/director_lmtp.log

[user at server logs]$ doveadm -i Director log find
Debug: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot_debug.log
Info: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot_info.log
Warning: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot.log
Error: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot.log
Fatal: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot.log

I have stopped and started both my instances so the config running is
what is in the config file, but when I use -i Director with doveadm it
uses the other instances config.

[user at server logs]$ doveadm instance list
path name     last used           running
/home/user/apps/dovecot/var/run/dovecot Dovecot  2013-09-26 00:39:14 yes
/home/user/apps/dovecot/var/run/director Director 2013-09-26 00:32:31 yes

Any ideas, or does anyone have any experience with the Dovecot instance
feature?
Chris