[Dovecot] Dovecot not honoring configuration settings (auth failure)

Tue Apr 1 10:33:34 UTC 2014

On 3/31/2014 5:37 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> My dovecot.conf has the following:

You still have yet to prove this (doveconf -n output).

>      # No results when searching the wiki
>      disable_plaintext_auth = no

Then you are searching the wiki wrong.

After entering the parameter in the searchbox (obviously you should not
add the '=no' part), did you click 'Titles'? Or 'Text'? Or did you just
hit [enter]?

You have to click the 'Text' button (to the right of the searchbox) to
search the article CONTENT. Just hitting [Enter] results in a simple
'Titles' search, which only searches the wiki article Titles.

Personally I don't like this. I think the default should be to search
content.

>      #http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms
>      auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
>
> When I attempt to run imapsync, I receive an error:
>
>      Host2: <host> says it has NO CAPABILITY for AUTHENTICATE LOGIN
>
> imapsync also dumps the helo string, and it is missing:
>
>      Host2: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ... STARTTLS
> AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
>
> I've restarted the dovecot service with 'service dovecot restart' and
> even rebooted the machine.
>
> There is nothing reported in any on the log files
> (/var/mail/dovecot.log and /var/log/mail.<level>).

Then you are looking at the wrong log files.

> Any ideas why dovecot is not honoring the setting in its config file?

Best guess is you are not using the config file you think you are using.

What distro is this?

--

Best regards,

Charles