[Dovecot] Dovecot not honoring configuration settings (auth failure)

Tue Apr 1 11:09:25 UTC 2014

On 4/1/2014 6:56 AM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously, I don't know how. That's the file that conf dovecot claims
> it is using. It you know how to find out the conf file dovecot is
> *really*  using, then please let me know.

First read this:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/BasicConfiguration

Especially this part:

"The default configuration starts from dovecot.conf, which contains an
!include conf.d/*.conf statement to read the rest of the configuration.
This split of configuration files isn't a requirement to use, and it
doesn't really matter which .conf file you add any particular setting,
just as long as it isn't overridden in another file. You can verify with
doveconf -n that everything looks as you intended."

If you want all settings in a single config file, you need to tell
dovecot this.

If you don't, then the last settings that are applied, based on the
order these split config files (in conf.d) are read (the number prefix
determines the order) win.

Personally, I put all of mine in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/99-mysettings.conf

The 99- prefix makes sure that these settings get applied plast.

Also, you never answered my last question - what distro?

Some distros put config files in different (non-standard) places, and/or
enable chroot by default, complicating things for their users (although
it is fully documented, so users who encounter problems because of this
do so because they didn't rtfm well enough)...

--

Best regards,

Charles