[Dovecot] Dovecot not honoring configuration settings (auth failure)

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 01:40:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> passdb {
>>   args = /var/mail/%d/users
>>   driver = passwd-file
>> }
>> userdb {
>>   driver = passwd
>> }
>

> Your userdb and passdb are not using the same DB: did you intend this?
Yeah, I did not add that. That's coming from somewhere else (like the
auth_mechanisms).

I think Charles said it was a config file in a different directory.
I'll be looking at in more detail soon. I suspect it one of these two
lines from dovecot.conf:

    !include conf.d/*.conf

or

    !include_try local.conf

Related: what does the bang mean? I've got a programming background,
and to me its a NOT. So I would read that as "don't include
conf.d/...". It would have the same effect as commenting it out.

> Does the userdb have "user at domain" entries, rather than just "user"
> entries?
user at domain

I just performed a fresh install of Debian, so I can look at things
without all the tutorial knob turning.

Thanks for the help.