[Dovecot] imap / IPv6 problems?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Fri Apr 4 11:16:43 UTC 2014

On 4/4/2014 12:07 μμ, Egbert wrote:

> When sending an email it*sometimes*  takes ages before the process
> finishes. The  process seems to hang in moving the message to the sent
> items" folder". When I disable the IPv6 stack in the network config
> (this is MS Windows 7), the hanging process immedialetely completes!
> This makens me think that is has to do with the IP stacks. Another
> observed effect is a long "rotating wheel" when just klicking on an imap
> folder before the listing in the right pane updates. Here the same trick
> solves the problem.

Something must be incomplete in your local IPv6 configuration. Have you
configured IPv6 DNS servers? Are they working?

Troubleshoot your IPv6 network connectivity (check configuration,
firewalls, etc.). The behaviour you are describing is typical on systems
which are struggling to use the IPv6 protocol (because it has higher
priority) and they cannot due to some problem; when IPv6 connectivity
attempts timeout, IPv4 is used.

We are using Dovecot for years with IPv6 with various clients and we
have no problems at all.

Nick