[Dovecot] Connection refused userdb lookup ..dovecot/auth-userdb

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Thu Mar 27 04:16:38 UTC 2014

On 26-03-14 12:01, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 3/25/2014 4:08 PM, Simon <greminn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM, Charles Marcus
>> <CMarcus at media-brokers.com>wrote:
>
>>> So, your SQL userdb is refusing connections from dovecot...
>>>
>>> Fix this...
>
>> Thanks Charles, I have looked into this and tried to fix
>> permissions but still have the same issue. I have tried changing
>> the permissions on the auth-userdb to 0666 (see below) as well as
>> setting the permissions of /usr/local/dovecot/var/run/dovecot/ to
>> 777 just for testing.
>
> You misunderstood...
>
> I didn't say the filesystem permissions were wrong.
>
> Your SQL SERVER is refusing the connection.
>
> The user (vmail) you are using to connect to the SQL server doesn't
> have permission to talk to it.
>
> This needs to be fixed IN THE SQL SERVER ACCESS PERMISSIONS for
> the 'vmail' user.

Charles, auth-worker would have logged errors about sql access if that
was an issue. lda doesn't do sql queries by itself, it sends the
queries to the auth socket instead, and that fails.

The socket is not usable, as was already observed upthread by doing
tests as root using socat. I'm still opting for
selinux/apparmor/rsbac/etc issues here.

Simon, are you sure you're not missing any logging on that? I'm not
really experienced in thoose systems, but everytime I run into issues
with them , they sure fill my logs with all kinds of cryptic stuff ;)

Tom