Dbox and Exim

C Peters chuck.peters at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 12:20:14 UTC 2014

The Dovecot wiki [1] doesn't list either Exim, Postfix or anything
else as supporting the dbox.  I did some searching in the Exim
archives and have found only one message mentioning dbox, sdbox or
mdbox. [2]  I think an RFC would go a long way towards getting the
format supported.  Has Timo, or anyone else, considered submitting an
RFC to the IETF?

My question was how are we going to use it if Exim doesn't support it.
It looks like we can filter it and convert it with dovecot-lda.  [3]
I have generally avoided using Procmail for a few years because of
various problems and it's a dead software project that hasn't been
developed in what 15 to 20 years.  I am thinking about trying it with
Exim's built in Maildrop filtering support. Has anybody tried that?
What else are people using to enable dbox?

The more specific question on the problem I am trying to solve.  I
have been using mbox for years, and I can't even get Dovecot, IMAP and
Thunderbird working on the LAN because it can't handle the GB's of old
mail.  Mutt works on the local machine, but I want something that
works while I am using something other than ssh and mutt.  For example
I want to try Mailpile and K9.  I would like to try dbox, but given
it's lack of support in Exim or Postfix, I'll probably convert to
maildir.

Thanks,
Chuck

1. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat