Autoexpunge and special user namespace

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:36:21 UTC 2015

I'm interested in replacing my cron script that expunges old
deleted mail with the new feature announced in 2.2.20

> + Added mailbox { autoexpunge=<time> } setting. See
>   http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxSettings for details.

To use it, I need to specify which mailbox needs them using
the namespace configuration.  For example

 	namespace inbox {
 		mailbox Trash {
 			auto = no
 			special_use = \Trash
 			autoexpunge = 7d
 			mailbox_list_index = yes
 		}
 		mailbox trash {
 			auto = no
 			special_use = \Trash
 			autoexpunge = 7d
 			mailbox_list_index = yes
 		}
 		mailbox "Deleted Messages" {
 			auto = no
 			special_use = \Trash
 			autoexpunge = 7d
 			mailbox_list_index = yes
 		}
 		mailbox "Deleted Items" {
 			auto = no
 			special_use = \Trash
 			autoexpunge = 7d
 			mailbox_list_index = yes
 		}
 	}

Different readers use different mailboxes, so I include the common ones.
Some questions:

 	1) Do I need the special_user configuration at all?  Will some
 	clients start using different mailboxes to store deleted mail
 	if I keep the special_use lines?

 	2) I also expunge old mail in INBOX marked as deleted -- is
 	there any way to handle this case?  Create virtual mailbox?

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>