LIST command should not interpret wildcards in reference

Robert Siemer Robert.Siemer-lists at backsla.sh
Mon Dec 14 15:14:36 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I believe this is erroneously implemented in Dovecot:

 >>> for i in c.list_folders('deleteme.*.folder', '%'):
...  print(i)
((b'\\HasNoChildren',), b'.', 'deleteme.*.folder')
((b'\\HasNoChildren',), b'.', 'deleteme.deleteme.deleteme.folder')

We see here an interactive python session, which launches

LIST "deleteme.*.folder" "%"

over the wire and receives two mailboxes as answer. The response is
already parsed, but that’s not important for my point: according to
RFC3501 section 6.3.8 LIST Command, the arguments are “reference name”
and “mailbox name with possible wildcards”.

Both arguments are allowed to contain wildcard characters, but they have
no special meaning in the reference. Dovecot 2.2.18 doesn’t do that
right: the second mailbox should not be listed, because it is not a
subfolder of reference.

Is this a known issue?

Regards,
Robert