Dovecot is not reading connections from iOS devices correctly. Any ideas?

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:21:52 UTC 2015

Robert Chalmers writes:

> dovecot-info.log
> May 11 09:27:45 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0
> secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.0.1, lip=192.168.0.15,
> session=<pXcBJ8oVbgDAqAAB>
>
> When I try to connect using either the iOS Mail app, or Outlook mail
> app, nothing happens at al with ssl, and if I use plain login the iOS
> device tells me I have either the username or password wrong - which I
> haven't.

Some mail readers have auto-discover features that are rather stupid.
If possible, manually configure the SSL style (TLS/STARTTLS) and port
rather than letting it guess.

To diagnose whether it is some dovecot config error, you can manually
connect with both flavours of SSL

 	openssl s_client -connect 192.168.0.15:993
 	openssl s_client -starttls imap -connect 192.168.0.15:143

then if it gets past the SSL handshake,

 	a login <user> <password>

to test the authentication part.  This will at least tell you whether
it's a client side or server side issue.  (However, since it is working
with other client, it's probably a client side issue.)

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>