GSSAPI authentication setup

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sat Apr 16 21:41:53 UTC 2016

I'm setting up dovecot on a new box; and once again I find myself
banging my head against GSSAPI authentication.

The particularly irritating thing is that I have this working on
another box.  I've done my best to ape the configuration of that box;
but it's been some years since I set it up and somewhere along the line
I have failed.

My dovecot.conf has:

auth_mechanism = plain gssapi

    passdb {
      driver = pam
    }

    userdb {
      driver = ldap
      args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
    }

where /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext is:

    hosts = ldap
    dn = cn=Manager,dc=endoframe,dc=net
    dnpass = XXXXXXXX
    ldap_version = 3
    base = ou=people,dc=endoframe,dc=net
    deref = never
    scope = subtree
    user_attrs = homeDirectory=home,uidNumber=uid,gidNumber=gid
    user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))

I've diff'd the contents of /etc/dovecot on the working vs. non-working
servers, and I can see nothing of pertinence (just a few lines about

Now, logging in with the kerberos password via PAM *is* working.
 /etc/pam.d/dovecot:

    #%PAM-1.0
    auth       sufficient   pam_krb5.so
    account    sufficient   pam_krb5.so

But GSSAPI authentication is not:

    [    root at hinge     ~]# telnet localhost 143
    Trying ::1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=GSSAPI] Dovecot ready.
    a authenticate GSSAPI
    a NO [UNAVAILABLE] Temporary authentication failure. [hinge.endoframe.net:2016-04-16 21:33:32]
    ^]
    telnet> close
    Connection closed.

Oh... The kerberos server does have an IMAP service key for hinge; and
that service key appears in hinge's /etc/krb5.keytab, as well.

Any pointers on where I should be looking at this point would be very
much appreciated.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>