Replication for Pigeonhole ManageSieve

Joe Nahmias joe at nahmias.net
Wed Apr 5 05:37:31 EEST 2017

Hello,

I currently have one machine running postfix SMTP server as MTA along
with dovecot IMAP server for email.  Although it only supports a handful
of users, email service is important to us all; so I'm looking to make
this a more fault-tolerant / highly-available system.

To that end, I'm planning on configuring postfix to use
deliver/dovecot-lda as my MDA (using procmail at the moment), spinning
up another machine with postfix/dovecot and setting up master/master
replication using dsync/doveadm-sync.  My reading on the subject
suggests that this should (given appropriate MX & SRV dns records) make
traffic balanced across both nodes, and the system should be resilient
if one of the nodes should fail without the need for much/any human
intervention.

In order to replace the functionality that procmail currently provides
as MDA, I was thinking to use Sieve.  Fortunately, it seems the
Pigeonhole project provides almost everything I need on the server side
to make this work.  The one potential gap I have identified is the
syncing of the sieve scripts between the two machines.  Has any one
dealt with this and come up with a good solution?  Does dsync already
handle this and I just haven't figured it out?

Let me know if my question is best directed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help,
--Joe

PS - please cc me as I don't subscribe to this list.