pop 110/995, imap 143/993 ?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Mon Aug 21 13:44:39 EEST 2017

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 11:04:40 +0100, Sebastian Arcus stated:

>On 21/08/17 10:37, Gedalya wrote:
>> On 08/21/2017 07:28 AM, voytek at sbt.net.au wrote:
>>> is there a 'preferred way'?  should I tell users to use 143 over 993 ? or
>>> 993 over 143? or?
>> There is no concrete answer. There are various opinions and feelings about
>> this. The opinion againt 993/995 is that these are not standard ports,
>
>Out of curiosity, is there a source for this? It's the first time I hear
>that 993/995 are not standard ports - and searching on the Internet, I
>can't find any evidence to back it up? Also, pretty much all email
>software has been using them for the past 20 years or so. It seems like
>a curiously high rate of adoption for a non-standard :-)

One of the places I have found extremely useful over the years is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

It lists the port number, TCP & UDP, description and IANA Status. It also
lists multiple use ports; such as 465.

Port TCP UDP 	  Description                                           IANA status

143  TCP Assigned Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) management    Official

465  TCP          URL Rendezvous Directory for SSM (Cisco protocol)     Official
465  TCP          Authenticated SMTP over TLS/SSL (SMTPS)               Unofficial

993  TCP Assigned Internet Message Access Protocol over TLS/SSL (IMAPS) Official
995  TCP UDP      Post Office Protocol 3 over TLS/SSL (POP3S)           Official

--
Jerry