Problem with Let's Encrypt Certificate

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Sun Feb 19 06:24:14 UTC 2017

On 2/17/17 1:38 PM, chaouche yacine wrote:

> Seems wrong to me too, Robert. If you put your private key inside
> your certificate, won't it be sent to the client along with it ?

No; any SSL software that uses the file will extract the parts it needs
from it and convert them to its internal format for future use. It never
literally sends the file contents anywhere.

It's common and often recommended for a PEM file to contain everything
needed; see, for example, the bottom section of:

 https://www.digicert.com/ssl-support/pem-ssl-creation.htm

Doing this avoids the key and certificate files getting out of sync later.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/