Director+NFS Experiences

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:29:51 UTC 2017

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On 24 Feb 2017, at 0.08, Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > As someone who is about to begin the process of moving from maildir to
>> > mdbox on NFS (and therefore just about to start the 'director-ization'
>> of
>> > everything) for ~6.5m mailboxes, I'm curious if anyone can share any
>> > experiences with it. The list is surprisingly quiet about this subject,
>> and
>> > articles on google are mainly just about setting director up. I've yet
>> > stumble across an article about someone's experiences with it.
>> >
>> > * How big of a director cluster do you use? I'm going to have millions
>> of
>> > mailboxes behind 10 directors.
>>
>> I wouldn't use more than 10.
>>

> Cool
>

>> > I'm guessing that's plenty. It's actually split over two datacenters.
>>
>> Two datacenters in the same director ring? This is dangerous. if there's
>> a network connectivity problem between them, they split into two separate
>> rings and start redirecting users to different backends.
>>

> I was unclear. The two director rings are unrelated and won't ever need to
> talk to each other. I only mentioned the two rings to point out that all
> 6.5m mailboxes weren't behind one ring, but rather split between two
>

>> > * Do you have consistent hashing turned on? I can't think of any reason
>> not
>> > to have it turned on, but who knows
>>
>> Definitely turn it on. The setting only exists because of backwards
>> compatibility and will be removed at some point.
>>

> Out of curiosity (and possibly extremely naive), unless you've moved a
> mailbox via 'doveadm director', if someone is pointed to a box via
> consistent hashing, why would the directors need to share that mailbox
> mapping? Again, assuming they're not moved (I'm also assuming that the
> mailbox would always, by default, hash to the same value in the consistent
> hash), isn't their hashing all that's needed to get to the right backend?
> I.e. "I know what the mailbox hashes to, and I know what backend that hash
> points at, so I'm done", in which case, no need to communicate to the other
> directors. I could see that if you moved someone, it *would* need to
> communicate that mapping. Then the only maps traded by directors would be
> the consistent hash boundaries *plus* any "moved" mailboxes. Again, just
> curious.

Timo,
Incidentally, on that error I posted:

Feb 12 06:25:03 director: Warning: director(10.1.20.3:9090/left): Host
10.1.17.3 is being updated before previous update had finished (up -> down)
- setting to state=down vhosts=0
Feb 12 06:25:03 director: Warning: director(10.1.20.3:9090/left): Host
10.1.17.3 is being updated before previous update had finished (down -> up)
- setting to state=up vhosts=0

any idea what would cause that? Is my guess that multiple directors tried
to update the status simultaneously correct?