Server migration

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 23:03:56 EET 2017

> I've asked this before, but now it's time to move one server to
> another, I can't delay the operation anymore (the older server is
> failing)
>
> Both server are pretty old: 1.2.15
>
> Probably, faster way would be to rsync all mailboxes from the older
> server to the newer one.  I can start migrating everything while
> running then, stop the older server and sync only what is changed,
> keeping downtime at minimum.
>
> Any better solution ?

It depends on your situation.

If you only have a small userbase with modest amount of mail,
you can probably take your whole system down, do a one time
migration, then cut over to the new system without too much
downtime.

If you have medium sized operation, then what you propose above
would work.

If you have a large userbase (or large user mailboxes), or you want to
minimize downtime, you can incrementally migrate per user so that any
particular user experiences a small window of outage, but the system is
online for everybody else.  This, of course, requires a lot more setup
and planning.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>