Different users having same home/mail_location?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sun Sep 24 23:26:31 EEST 2017

On 24.9.2017 15:03, Sami Ketola wrote:
>> On 23 Sep 2017, at 23.08, Tapio Sokura <oh2kku at iki.fi> wrote:
>> I have this kind of a dual-login setup via PAM for regular system user authentication and it's working ok. I'm just wondering about the dovecot part, whether dovecot will do Unexpected Things if more than one user have the same home and mail_location? If it makes any difference, the users can have separate homes, but the mailbox should be the same for usability.
>
> It would break things.
>
> Easier is just to owerwrite userid from user2 to user1 after authentication with another passdb.

Thanks, overriding the userid seems to be working fine.

After getting this to work I realized otp tokens aren't the best for use
at the imap layer. The first authentication goes through fine. But on
the next imap connections (parallelizing clients and typical webmails)
the cached password/otp token has been used already and is rightfully
rejected by the backend authentication system.

By turning on auth caching in dovecot I jury-rigged this to work (for
the duration of the auth cache), but the clean solution would be
something else. Anyway I think I'll settle here for now, better than a
static password anyway. Thanks for the comments and keep up the good
work with Dovecot!

   Tapio