Re: Can’t authenticate any users after upgrade.

Kevin Cummings kjchome at icloud.com
Fri Apr 6 05:14:47 EEST 2018

> On 04/05/18 02:34, B. Reino wrote:
>> On 2018-04-05 06:33, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:
>>> On 2018-04-04 23:10, Kevin Cummings wrote:
>>> PAM audit_log_acct_message() failed: Operation not permitted
>>> imap-login: Disconnected (AUTH failed, 2 attempts in 10 secs):
>>> user=<username>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.1.94 lip=192.168.1.94, TLS,
>>> session=<sessionid>
>>
>> Please look at my pull request at:
>> https://github.com/dovecot/core/pull/71
>>
>> Or, if it's any easier:
>>
>> 1) Stop dovecot
>> 2) Replace /usr/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service with the attached file
>
> I'd recommend to just override the necessary options by creating /etc/systemd/system/dovecot.service.d/NoNewPrivileges.conf with the following content:
>
> -<<--
> [Service]
> NoNewPrivileges=false
> -->>-
>
> This way the fix survives any updates and you don't have to mess with package-provided files.
>
>> 3) systemctl daemon-reload
>> 4) systemctl start dovecot

OK, so I went this root, added the new file, stopped dovecot, did the daemon-reload, then started it up again.
It did not work for me.  As I continued to read the other emails in this thread, I came to the conclusion that the Fedora configuration, as packaged by City-Fan.org is what is broken.  Luckily for me, there was still a 2.2.35 version of dovecot in the repository, so I ended up doing the "dnf downgrade dovecot" and now I can read my emails again.  I'm assuming that the packager for Fedora will ensure that this gets fixed in the current releases.  I checked, and F26