User found but password failure

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 23:44:44 EEST 2019

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 4:36 PM Joseph Tam via dovecot
<dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2019, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
> > Per [1] I decided to see what the  response (base64-reply) I am
> > submitting to dovecot looks like:
> >
> > echo 'base64-reply' | base64 -d
> > raub at example.compassword
>
> I think there's a hidden null character netween username and password which
> you can see using
>
>         echo 'base64-reply' | base64 -d | od -c
>
> but as Aki mention, this is probably not relevant to your problem.
>
> Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>

I was expecting that since the encoding example in [1] inserts two \0
(NULL) characters before encoding, i.e.

printf 'raub at example.com\0raub at example.com\0passwod' | base64

I do not know if I am misreading the logs; maybe Aki can elaborate
some more, but I do know the encoding example lists the username
twice. And I am getting only it once when decoding the response I
found in the log file.

[1] https://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Authentication