slow logins over login_trusted_network

Thomas Zajic zlatko-dovecot at zlatk0.net
Mon Dec 16 21:31:55 EET 2019

* Wojciech Puchar, 16.12.19 18:04

>>> how to disable throttling (or better - put other limits) for 127.0.0.1?
>>
>> https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.3 - look for "Localhost Auth Penalty"
>>
> that's certainly this.
>
> but i am not an expert in this passdb system
>
> my current config is
> [...]
>
> where /usr/local/etc/dovecot/aliasy is a list of e-mail names to user account names like this
>
> wojtek at puchar.net:::::::user=puchar-wojtek
>
> how to properly do this?

I'm not an expert either, but I *think* you can just more or less literally copy/paste from
the example in the link.

Ie., right before your passdb{} entry pointing to /usr/local/etc/dovecot/aliasy you would just
insert another passdb{} entry as the very first one, namely the one from the link with exactly
the same content (you could probably name the file differently to make its purpose more clear,
like eg. "/usr/local/etc/dovecot/passdb-override-auth-penalty"). The key point in this entry
seems to be "noauthenticate=y", which I interpret as "read and use the file, but don't actually
use it for authentication purposes").

Then, in the file itself, you probably only need the first line containing "127.0.0.1", again
copy/pasted literally from the link. I interpret its contents as "for any connections coming
from 127.0.0.1, apply 'nodelay=yes'", ie. don't apply the default auth penalty delay.

Maybe an actual expert will prove me wrong, but at least my interpretation seems to make some
sort of sense to me. :-)

HTH,
Thomas