IMAP4 extensions for Visual Voicemail (VVM)

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Oct 21 13:26:17 EEST 2019

Op 20-10-2019 om 22:33 schreef Jean-Daniel via dovecot:

>> Le 20 oct. 2019 à 22:24, Mauricio Tavares via dovecot
>> <dovecot at dovecot.org <mailto:dovecot at dovecot.org>> a écrit :
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:43 AM Rajesh Bansal via dovecot
>> <dovecot at dovecot.org <mailto:dovecot at dovecot.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Team,
>>>

>>> I need to develop Visual VoiceMail solution. In this solution I need
>>> a IMAP4 server, from which I can get a hit for each mail retrieval.
>>> Can anyone help me if dovecot can be used for this purpose.
>>>
>>      That is rather vague. Do you want to do something like ol' biff
>> or what we used to do with Asterix 10 years ago (get an email with the
>> voicemail as as attachment)?
>
> I guess he is talking about that:
> https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/OMTP_VVM_Specification_1_3.pdf

I skimmed through this. It adds quite a few strange custom bits to the
IMAP protocol. Part of this are a few new commands and METADATA items,
which should be quite easy to implement. However, the amendments also
include various attachment-based QUOTA limits. Dovecot doesn't support
this and adding that is not trivial.

Also, this specification is quite old and outdated (it even mentions an
MD5 authentication mechanism). Is this even actively used anywhere?

Regards,

Stephan.