Dovecot+Solr+Tika segmentation fault

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Tue Dec 1 17:47:44 EET 2020

On 30/11/2020 09:45, Manuel Josupeit-Walter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a mail server for family and friends based on Dovecot and
> Docker. Today I made a weird observation which I must have overlooked
> for a long time so far because they logs were written to the journal.
> However, I am usually only investigating the Docker logs.
>
> It seems that some e-mail indexing leads to segfaults and it seems to
> be related only with Solr and Tika. I have auto-indexing turned on so
> sometimes the indexer-worker crashes when moving mails from one folder
> to the other or searching for mails otherwise. Also, if I try to
> manually reindex using doveadm index, the doveadm process quits with a
> segfault.
>
> I am always running the most recent Dovecot version, in this case
> 2.3.11.3, but I am not neccessarily up-to-date with Solr or Tika. I am
> on Solr Version 7.4 and Tika 1.24.1. On the console I am receiving
> Tika errors and on the Solr Webinterface I see a couple of Ealry EOFs
> as well.
>
> I am not a Linux expert from a dev perspective, but it seems to me
> that the client (Dovecot) closes the connection prematurely.
>
> Does anyone have a hint? I am happy to provide more information if
> required. I need to know how to collect them, though.
>
> Best,
> Manuel

A fix was posted on this list which seems to avoid segfaults when using
solr+tika. I reposted it not long ago in response to another question.
Before exploring the other segfaults it would be worthwhile getting that
fix. If other segfaults continue then I suggest posting the logging from
Dovecot

John