Dovecot Director scaling / performance

Paterakis E. Ioannis jpat at uoc.gr
Tue Dec 15 13:40:49 EET 2020

 From my short experience,

we run 2 directors and 3 dovecot servers behind them, with approx. 800
concurent users/dovecot server without any problems. During peak times,
they go as high as 2000-2200 users/dovecot server, again without any
problems. These 2 directors are behind a haproxy, so i'd say each
director handles at approx. 1200-3500 concurent connections without
problems.

You may face problems with limitations on your OS if you plan to serve
such an amount of users though. It depends on the OS you use.

i hope this helps,

John