shared folder name or public folder with mail address

Armin Schindler Armin.Schindler at sysgo.com
Fri Feb 14 15:05:19 EET 2020

On 2/14/20 11:44 AM, Tobias Kirchhofer wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2020, at 11:06, Armin Schindler wrote:
>
>     Hello!
>
>     we are about to move from cyrus to dovecot and have one open issue
>     for that migration.
>     With cyrus we have "shared/" folders with a name that is self defined like
>     shared/project-xyz
>     but the email address for direct delivery to that folder my be different
>     (not project-xyz at domain.com <mailto:project-xyz at domain.com>).
>
>     With dovecot we try to have it similar (at least how the user sees it in the client)
>     like it is now.
>
>     When configuring a namespace of type=shared, I see in the docs the the prefix
>     can be configured with %%u , %%n or %%d. But is it possible to configure
>     the name different to the email address? E.g. to hide the email address of
>     that folder and show a nice name instead?
>
>     I also thought about using public namespace instead. Does this make sense here?
>     With public (maybe configured with prefix=shared/) folder I can set any name
>     as subdir in prefix, right?
>     So would this be more like what we have with cyrus shared folder?
>
>     If so, how could these public folders have an email address for direct mail delivery into?
>     Can something like a global sieve rule do that? Or can a public folder have an email address?
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>     Armin
>
> Hi, we went through this some years ago. It is a bit tricky in the details. Involved is postfix,
> public namespace, subscriptions, acl, sieve.
>
> We found a quite comprehensive solution so far. It is working similar to Cyrus shared folder. Do not
> mix the names. Cyrus „shared“ folders are „public“ folders in Dovecot. Dovecot „shared“ folders are
> personally shared folders from one user to another.
>
> For our new setup (planned with CentOS 8, waiting for the official repo for the latest dovecot
> version…) we have a prototype on Debian base with the latest version of Dovecot. In opposite to our
> current solution we will implement global acls with user and groups from LDAP. This is very nice.

Wow, thanks. This seem to be exactly what I need to go on.
Our base system is a Univention UCS, so LDAP users and groups is what we already have working :-)

With your elements I think we really could have the cyrus shared folders with dovecot by
using a namespace of
 type=public
but with
 prefix=shared/
(we might use type=shared with prefix=usershared/ later).

Or is the idea of just *one* public folder with name "shared" and with
subdirs for different "projects/departments/topics" not working as expected?

ACL is something I didn't look at yet. Is it possible to set different permissions
for the folders in the public prefix like /shared/dir1 , /shared/dir2 , etc.
or even for sub-subfolders?
Global ACLs aren't neccessary when using folder acls, right?

Armin