Apple Mail and subfolders

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sat Jul 11 19:45:29 EEST 2020

On 11 Jul 2020, at 08:05, Filip Hajný <filip at hajny.net> wrote:
> does anybody here use MacOS (Catalina) Mail, who can confirm that subfolders (i.e. folders inside folders) work for them?

Yes, works fine on Catalina (and, if you're curious, Big Sur).

> It seems that I cannot create/access Maildir subfolders at all. Subfolders created in Mail show up as '.folder\2esubfolder' on disk, suggesting that Apple Mail is URL-coding the dot separator before it passes it onto Dovecot. No such translation takes place when interpreting the IMAP tree though, resulting in subfolders rendered as plain entries with the dot separator preserved.

That is odd, but I can't give you suggestions as it's always worked (I've been using Mail.app as my primary MUA since Mac OX X 10.2 or so, when I got off Eudora.

> Subfolders can be created from elsewhere (SoGO, Roundube, Thunderbird) just fine and work here just fine, suggesting that all is well in terms of Dovecot configuration. Subfolders created here though show up as a proper hierarchy in Apple Mail, but their contents is not displayed, so the user thinks the subfolder is empty.

I just created a subfolder in Apple mail. It shows up on the server as .list.Subfolder
I drug your message into the folder, and the message shows up in Mail.app and shows up in the subfolder on the server

# ls -lnR .lists.Subfolder                          [10:40] [/usr/local/virtual/kremels at kreme.com/Maildir]
total 56
drwx------  2 89  89   512 Jul 11 10:41 cur
-rw-------  1 89  89    21 Jul 11 10:41 dovecot-keywords
-rw-------  1 89  89   109 Jul 11 10:41 dovecot-uidlist
-rw-------  1 89  89  1924 Jul 11 10:41 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 89  89   868 Jul 11 10:41 dovecot.index.log
-rw-------  1 89  89     0 Jul 11 10:35 maildirfolder
drwx------  2 89  89   512 Jul 11 10:35 new
drwx------  2 89  89   512 Jul 11 10:41 tmp

.lists.Subfolder/cur:
total 16
-rw-------  1 89  89  6035 Jul 11 08:05 1594476342.M306501P20070.mail.covisp.net,S=6035,W=6154:2,Sab

.lists.Subfolder/new:
total 0

.lists.Subfolder/tmp:
total 0

> This definitely used to work fine in the past.
>
> Running 2.3.10.1 as part of the Mailcow suite.

I'm not familiar with that. Is that running dovecot on your Mac? My server is a FreeBSD 12.1 machine running dovecot-2.3.10.1_2.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but where are we going to get a trained octopus