Questions about Dovecot push notifications

Ralf Becker rb at egroupware.org
Thu Jul 16 10:39:44 EEST 2020

I read the docu available under:
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/push_notification/

I'm using Dovecot 2.2.36.4 with directors and a replicating pair of
backends using a custom dict with proxy protocol for user- and passdb
plus a userdb using sqlite for backup.

I understand 2.2 only allows to notify about new arriving mails, not eg.
flag-changes which would require 2.3 with LUA.

I want to use the ox notification driver with a http url (https seems to
be 2.3 only).

I read to enable push notifications on a mailbox I need:

a) IMAP metadata enabled incl. a backend/driver to store the metadata
b) enable push for the individual mailbox using a doveadm command (maybe
also via IMAP, which would be easier in my case)

My questions are:

1. can I set some static metadata via userdb to enable push for all
mailboxes?

2. if no, does setting the metadata on one replicating backend
replicates it to the other one too?

3. what purpose does the user=<something at else> argument in the doveadm
command to enable push server:

    doveadm mailbox metadata set -u user at example.com -s ""
/private/vendor/vendor.dovecot/http-notify user=11 at 3

Does it replace "user at example.com" in the push payload with
<something at else>?

4. can I set the required metadata via IMAP command preferable with a
(already configured) master user?

Thanks in advance :)

Ralf

--