I need some help with my Dovecot and Postfix configs - I'm unable to log in on my mail server

Bernardo Reino reinob at bbmk.org
Sun Jul 19 13:43:27 EEST 2020

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020, Nils wrote:

> This is what my server logs (mail.info, mail.warn) tell me:
> root at bgrsld-mail0:~# tail /var/log/mail.info
> Jul 17 18:22:08 bgrsld-mail0 postfix/submission/smtpd[8472]: improper command
> pipelining after EHLO from unknown[192.168.2.110]: QUIT\r\n
> Jul 17 18:22:08 bgrsld-mail0 postfix/submission/smtpd[8465]: disconnect from
> unknown[192.168.2.110] ehlo=1 quit=1 commands=2
> [...]

Thunderbird, for some reason, violates the SMTP standard when attempting
autoconfiguration. It sends multiple commands ("pipelining") without
postfix having announced that it's OK to do so.

You can either do the configuration manually (when Thunderbird fails, I
think you can still go to "manual" or "advanced" or whatever button to
continue with the configuration), or you could, at least temporarily,
disable postscreen (which is the only complaining -- rightly -- about the
improper pipelining), and then enable it again once you have configured
your account.

You can also read:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration

and set-up the necessary XML file at your server so that Thunderbird can
pickup the settings automatically. I've done this for one server, but
don't have the details anymore in my head. The link above should explain
that all though.

Good luck!
Bernardo