Urgent - Help needed

Tamsy dovecot-list at mohtex.net
Tue May 5 12:54:11 EEST 2020

*From:* Kishore Potnuru [mailto:kishore.reachme at gmail.com]
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 4:02 PM
*To:* Benny Pedersen; Dovecot Mailing List
*Subject:* Urgent - Help needed

> I am using pop3/imap, see the below file. We can't verify any logs?
> This is working fine from last one year. as part of testing we just
> stopped the services for 20minutes and restarted the dovecot and
> postfix server using "service <dovecot/postfix> stop/start". No issues
> so far...
>
> I would like know, if the application is reading the emails from the
> server, do we have any log in our server to see the same? Because I
> see them when the email is coming to the folder. I see them that they
> are deleted , once they are reading by the application. But
> application is not taking all the emails. few are missing, application
> team says. I want to tell them and show the logs that these are read
> by your server/application. that is my idea....
>
> [root at server new]# doveconf -n
> # 2.2.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> Server release 7.4 (Maipo) xfs
> disable_plaintext_auth = no
> listen = *
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
>
> mail_location = maildir:/kw/home/pop/%d/%n/Maildir/
> passdb {
>   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
>   driver = passwd-file
> }
> pop3_uidl_format = %g
> protocols = imap pop3
> ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
> ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
> userdb {
>   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/kw/home/pop/%d/%n
>   driver = static
> }
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:33 AM Benny Pedersen <me at junc.eu
> <mailto:me at junc.eu>> wrote:
>
>     On 2020-05-05 10:06, Kishore Potnuru wrote:
>
>     > Please help me...
>
>     with more sparse info ?
>
>     maillist would like to see
>
>     postconf -nf
>     postconf -Mf
>     doveconf -n
>
>     how is it setup to delivery virtual transport not using
>     dovecot-lda or
>     dovecot ltmp
>
>     do not make file system access to mails, use imap or pop3 protocols
>
>     as i read sparse info you are not using dovecot, so be it

As Huangbin and Benny already pointed it out and what is cleary shown by
the log-snippet:

May  5 07:35:21 testserver postfix/virtual[29843]: EB6A2206818:
to=<selfemail at testing2.com>, relay=virtual, delay=0.05,
delays=0.05/0/0/0, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to maildir)

It is *NOT* Dovecot which is doing the final delivery of messages into
the users mailbox.

Furthermore if the mailist is asking you for the output of:
postconf -nf
postconf -Mf
doveconf -n

but you only send some (very sparse) snippets out of it which nearly
have no relevance to the problem you are describing you can not expect
real support from the list.