Ms Exchange vs dovecot

MIhai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Sat May 9 13:32:05 EEST 2020

First of all, Exchange is a complete solution. Dovecot is a imap/pop3
server ( a good one, sure... )

So replacing exchange means to find an integrated solution.

about the questions: public folder was removed in exchange. IMHO they
made the right choice :)

There is a different thing, need different tools and different client
app. You can create shared mailboxes ( i think it's a little demand for
that, but yes)

Sieve rules should work ( never tried actually)

I can see a need for an integration with folders only when you work with
webmail (like roundcube) . In this  scenario ( a liitle bit like gmail)
is good to see the folders and attach them ( or save)

I use the kolab plugins for roundcube and there is a sort of integration
between the chwala ( files plugin) and any webdav capable file server (
I use owncloud/nextcloud). So you can share files, edit etc using
owncloud but also attach them and save them from webmail. You can find a
lot of plugins in owncloud to deal with files, even editing with
onlyoffice . IMHO, that's the way, there is no need to create a client
app to deal with all; maybe other people will not agree but...